http://www.powerfig.com/nema-locking-chart.aspx here is a NEMA configuration chart.
I gotta love Canadian Wholesale. The prefer to carry US products. California standard? Is that like UL California? I doubt many inspectors check the approved configuration is being used. For the most part we only see 15 , 20 , 30 and 50 amp receptacles in houses.

Second a cautionary note. From your posts here you are an apprentice, not an electrician or a contractor. If you are not working under a Contractors permit and supervision you are working illegally. You may not get caught especially if this is one off. But I can tell you I see more and more insurance companies suing to recover cost from persons doing illegal work and possibly even refuse to cover your Dad if there is an accident as a result of an error on your part or simply because a permit was not issued.
I hope you complete your apprenticeship as it sounds like you have a brain and there can never be enough smart tradespeople but don't let your desire to help your dad result in a bad situation for you. You could derail your own career.