Mate,
I've done break-down work most of my electrical career.
I'm not sure what your experience level is, but I would vehemently stay away from Residential faults work, you are on a hiding to nothing.
Sure you get the lights and other bits working at the time and the customer is singing your praises as you head out the door with a nice fuzzy feeling.
Now, when the bill gets sent, it is a totally different feeling.
IMO, anyone that works after hours should be paid accordingly, this is reflected in the invoice to customers.

Having said all that, factory break-downs and commercial shops is where the money is, but you need to be really on your game to trouble-shoot some of these jobs.
These folks almost NEVER dispute the invoice, when it comes in, especially where minutes being without power or when mission-critical gear is not working at all or not working properly, will cost them good money.

If you are looking to get into this area of electrical work, expect to truly work 24 hours a day.
You can be called up at 1am, 3am, even 5am, or even all 3 in a single night.
There is a full working day ahead of you, yet, you can't simply take the day off because you got the odd call-out over night.

This is OK for the man that is not a family man, because when you get up, open the doors and start your truck up, it will disrupt everyone else's sleep in the house.

Believe me, mate, I've been a PoCo Electrician/HV faults-man on and off for years, I've also seen other guys marriages end, because they are never at home.
Sad yes, reality yes.

Last edited by Trumpy; 09/05/08 04:36 AM. Reason: Typo