I too am an electrical contractor as well as a general contractor. When I build a house, I am not a framer, I am more of a broker. I agree with watts on the courtesy subject. I have no obligation to him legally, but if he asks "just let me know what is going on" I have no issues. If he wants money for it. I don't think so.

Honestly though, I work for good contractors. They have all been good to me. They all meet reno's 4 qualifications and allow me to do my job the way I think best. They pay on time, no arguements. Maybe questions but no arguements. I have never used a contract. I send a quote for the job and a bill after rough in with any changes listed and priced. I may get taken one day and it may all change, but I like to do business with a handshake and gc's that can do the same. I don't deal directly with large cooporations and I understand that is a different ball game.

I have one small commercial contractor that paid me 10K for a small job. A year later he still has not gotten paid anything. I realize that this is his responsibility and I appreciate his making sure his subs got paid.