1. That pesky fuse is there for a reason- the widespread use of the ring main in the UK. Changing a fuse with a knife out of the cutlery drawer is a pleasurable man's thing, IMO. Not quite so macho with the factory molded plugs of course. Those have a stupid little plastic fuse retainer that you have to winkle out with a dessert fork!
Even a wife can change those!

2. Too big? A Brit 1363 plug, crafted from solid bakelite [or truly unbreakable, rubber] and with its massive pins, will last forever. I can tell you that they ain't too big inside, very often you have to lever the wires into place with a meat-skewer to get the lid on! I have quite a few in my boxes of bits that must be 40 or 50 years old and still serviceable. Every time a piece of electrical equipment went to that rubbish tip in the sky we used to cut the plug and as much cable as possible off beforehand, ["that'll come in handy one day"]. The parts are not interchangeable though, each maker's backplate, cable clamps, pins and fuseholders are all slightly different. But there's the challenge! A British Standard Junkbox also contains many plug parts in various states of disassembly. Can I make one up from these bits?

3: The existing standard is too entrenched to change out.
There was a time when we Brits didn't give a flying monkeys about Johnny Foreigner and his shoddy, flimsy products, made out of recycled yogurt pots and designed to fall apart the day after the guarantee ran out.

Wood work but can't!