Really, now....

I have a job developing that is to a CNG facility. The original plans were like catalog cartoons ... only nowhere near as legible! A simple box marked 'compressor', with a single line to another box 'storage tank.' From all this I was supposed it infer all the controls, alarms, etc!

When you get plans like that, there's just one thing to do - send them back! It's not MY architects' or engineers' stamp on them. INSIST they do their job.

As for exclusions .... some things I don't sweat. If I end up putting in the pipe for the thermostat, it's no big thing. Yet, I do expect others to do their part, as well. As I've said before, I only expect a few things from the GC: a dumpster DURING the job, a toilet, and scheduling. If he's not going to do his part, I don't need him. I sure don't need him for billing; the customer almost always pays me direct.

As with most other relationships, you vote with your feet. I will not be available for a GC who does not do his part, or is overly zealous with the back charges.

Again, the current job - and it's not a bad job - reminds us of the basics. You can't just stick your head in the plans like an ostrich. Informal discussions with the end-users have already identified a number of details that never made it off the drafting table. This, in turn, has allowed change orders to get started while the dost is still minimal.