Thanks everyone for the input on this one.. smile I knew there was some missing info in what I thought and what the inspector is asking for. So a rod it shall be, attached to the ground bus in the subpanel.

Fred, thank you for taking the time to type in that Code reference, that was what I was looking for.... smile

Yoopersup, thank you too. (I really need to spring for an '05 Code book.)

Greg, yeah, that was what I was thinking too, is the telco considered a "metal path" as defined by Code. But I don't quite follow what you mean by this:
There is going to be a significant difference between grounds and neutrals in interconnected equipment at the far end. This may require different thinking in the surge protection of some equipment.
By "equipment" are you referring to the panel(s) or actual utilization devices?

Roger is of course correct that the coax woukld be a significant path as well. A four wire feeder was in the mix regardless of anything else. Like I'd mentioned, since we have a meter/main where the EGC and neutral is already bonded, it would definately make the panel in the house a subpanel. Offhand, I can't think of any way that one could use a three-wire feeder to the house in this situation. Now if the pumphouse only had a meter pan, then a three-wire feed could be used, with the EGC and neutral bond at the main house, right?

Reno: LOL No problem. smile I had lost that distinction between a circuit and feeders as used for a detached building.

OT: I'm currently teaching my cat, Gizmo, how to use the toilet. There is a device that makes it easy. After an intitial rebellion (Gizmo hates any kinds of changes) he's doing really good. May be able to throw out litter completely by the end of November. smile

This is why I love coming here, you guys are all great at helping out!!

Stupid should be painful.