Thought I'd throw this out to the gurus here for a final answer....first the detail of the install:

200amp meter/main panel located at pump house. Two ground rods and well casing tied to ground bus in this main panel. Passed inspection no problems.

100 amp feeder to subpanel, with ground wire, all THHW/THHN, in PVC conduit to said subpanel in main house. Ground bus and neutral bus isolated at subpanel as per Code. Run of about 110 feet.

We do have telco and (most likely not to be used) CATV run from the pumphouse to the main house. Again in PVC conduit.

Inspector wants us to drive a ground rod at the subpanel location in the main house.

I feel that it would not be required, as the grounding of the system is established at the main service. If, for example, we had only a meter socket/can at the pump house, with the main panel being at the house (where the EGCs and neutral would be bonded, right?) would we require another ground rod. Adding the rod is not a problem, the walls are unfinished at this stage.

I am also concerned about creating a separate ground fault path...something rattles in the back of my mind about this rod being necessary only if another grounding path exists between the buildings...

Not too sure of what Code section (art. 250 of course) this would fall under, inspector did NOT give a Code reference.

This is in So. Cali., (up in the fire zone) and we're under the 2005 Code.

Thanks!!

Stupid should be painful.