Originally Posted by mamills
The flying splices are the icing on the cake.

Believe or not, no flying (frying?) splices in these pics, just old raggedy NM! That dryer cable was replaced due to one though. I'll get pics of that when the drywall comes down in the garage.

I guess it might be the lighting (HAHA!) but it looks like there was a previous fire in this attic...if not give it time - we have fires all the time from people hanging light bulbs next to wood siding, wood posts, curtains, plastic shutters, clothing, etc.

Close, but not quite. See those metal straps in the background? The handyman installed a modular fireplace in the living room and put the chimney through the garage attic and roof. He must not have lined up the sections well enough, be cause they separated, and the nice hot smoke discolored all the wood, and burned a nice hole in the plywood sheathing.

i can only imagine what the service for this fine residential installation looked like...

John, more pics headed your way!

Originally Posted by Pauluk
What's the gray in the first photo Ian? (Looks as though the plant pot would be hanging on it if the ceiling gave way!)

Is that more unsecured Romex, or is it something like SE?

That's more Romex. It goes to the handyman's fireplace's fans, which no longer work. It comes off an ungrounded circuit somewhere...

Originally Posted by classicsat
Ian, get a clamp-lamp. It is a self contained socket-reflector-clamp good for clamping onto timber and using for a temporary work light. I had one I religiously used, but it got mangled to death somehow.

Unfortunately the closet light "has to do" (said my father) until (more like if) the garage gets rewired.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?