Hey everyone! I've been lurking here for a long time and I can say I've definitely learned a lot from your collective experience. I have a situation that I can't seem to figure out, so I thought I might pick your brains a little.
Here's the deal: a customer, whose new building I'm doing the wiring in, has requested a chime kit by the front door so that the occupants will be notified if someone enters the building. Pretty simple I think, and during rough-in pull a #18 2-wire cable to the door frame for a door switch. The cable now comes out of the drywall along the interior surface of the door frame. Now that I'm doing the final work, I'm not sure what kind of switch I should use. I thought I would use a security type n.o. reed switch, but the contacts would be closed the whole time the door was open and I'm not sure that having the chime coil energized for that long would be good for it.
Do any of you know of a switch I can use - surface mounted, n.o. contacts which momentarily close when the door opens, but don't need the door to close again for the contacts to open?
There has to be a way I can do this but I can't figure it out.
Many thanks to anyone who can help me out here, and many more thanks to everyone else for all the other stuff I've learned here also.

Shawn.