Hi All,
Sorry, I may not have made it that clear in my OP, but I intend on wiping the HDD on my last remaining dedicated Windows desktop computer and before I do, I have to transfer a lot of Ham Radio club minutes and other such files into my laptop, that will remain as a dual boot computer so that I can still use a few applications that will only work in a Windows environment, or would be too much trouble to right the necessary code to get them to work on a Linux platform.

I've made sure that the IP addresses are the same in both computers and can even ping between the two, no problems at all.
Where the wheels fall off, is when I try to move files between shared folders on both computers.
I get a prompt that comes up on the screen that tells me "Windows cannot detect the other computer on your network, please run Windows Network Set-Up Wizard and try again"
Now, I've been through this I don't know how many times and I get the same thing.
The computers can talk to each other, but for some odd reason, Windows is not detecting the 2nd computer in the network.
Personally I don't use Windows Firewall, it's garbage, I prefer to use Zone Alarm.
This is just one of the reasons why I'm looking to minimise the number of Windows computers here.