ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Networking Problem - 08/04/07 06:01 AM
Hi Guys,
I've struck a real problem in my network here at home.
Let me explain if I can...
I set my computer up with a wireless network, that was no big issue.
Now I would like to get totally away from Windows, to do that would require me to shift files from my old computer to my new dual-boot computer that uses XP/Ubuntu.
All well and good, I got the two talking to one another, via a ping test, but I cannot transfer files between the 2 computers.
I will say that the two computers are connected via a Cat6 Cross-over cable, ie, directly.
What has gone wrong here?.
The first person that says "Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard", will be kindly told where to go. grin
I've been around that round-about so many times it's not funny anymore.
Anyone got some REAL advice?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Networking Problem - 08/04/07 03:19 PM
Are you sure one of the machines is set to master? I know it is supposed to work with them in auto but that has not been my experiernce.
settings,network,client for windows,printer/file sharing,properties,browse master = enabled
Posted By: JCooper Re: Networking Problem - 08/04/07 09:01 PM
Are you trying to copy from windows to windows or windows to linux? I will assume you have an ip address on both machines, and that the windows firewall is turned off.

If going windows/windows can you ping by name? eg 'ping desktop2'

If going windows to linux, do you have SAMBA turned on in the linux box?
Posted By: Gloria Re: Networking Problem - 08/06/07 02:38 PM
Mike, I dunno Ubuntu, but I guess to read a file, first you need something that understands what you are trying to do. Are you sure you have a platform ready to receive "files"? A file is always produced for an operating system, prepared to be used by that system, eg. the extension is maybe not recognized by the receiver, etc.

I recommend to check whether you are able to store such files on your other pc, then if it runs, try to synchronize folders.
Posted By: Gloria Re: Networking Problem - 08/06/07 02:43 PM
Googled:

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic72099.html

I'd also recommend you to try an ftp-solution. Eg. i have a store place provided by my internet provider on the net, where I can upload/download files in a mass. You should try the same.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Networking Problem - 08/07/07 12:13 AM
Hi All,
Sorry, I may not have made it that clear in my OP, but I intend on wiping the HDD on my last remaining dedicated Windows desktop computer and before I do, I have to transfer a lot of Ham Radio club minutes and other such files into my laptop, that will remain as a dual boot computer so that I can still use a few applications that will only work in a Windows environment, or would be too much trouble to right the necessary code to get them to work on a Linux platform.

I've made sure that the IP addresses are the same in both computers and can even ping between the two, no problems at all.
Where the wheels fall off, is when I try to move files between shared folders on both computers.
I get a prompt that comes up on the screen that tells me "Windows cannot detect the other computer on your network, please run Windows Network Set-Up Wizard and try again"
Now, I've been through this I don't know how many times and I get the same thing.
The computers can talk to each other, but for some odd reason, Windows is not detecting the 2nd computer in the network.
Personally I don't use Windows Firewall, it's garbage, I prefer to use Zone Alarm.
This is just one of the reasons why I'm looking to minimise the number of Windows computers here.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Networking Problem - 08/07/07 01:17 AM
Is this windoze 98, xp or what? 98 doesn't talk to xp onless you add the plugins.
From my experience you shouldn't have to do anything but set file sharing on and let then negotiate a connection. I do think you can't have 2 on the network with the same ip address.

Have you run the network troubleshooter?
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: Networking Problem - 08/07/07 02:10 AM
Two computers on the same network cannot share the same ip address, make one 192.168.1.2 and the other 192.168.1.3 that should work. Robert
Posted By: Gloria Re: Networking Problem - 08/07/07 07:24 AM
Same opinion here. Make them two on the same network and share the folders.

In this case I recommend Norton or such. Windows suxx
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Networking Problem - 08/07/07 03:09 PM
Sometimes I find it is easier to just swap the drive into the other machine to get the files off if this is just a one time deal.
You may be able to do this by simply stringing the cable between them without actually moving the drive. I have a 3' IDE cable for doing things like this. It was how I synchronized the MP3 files on my car players before I got the file sharing working.
Use the secondary controller for the other drive (unplug the CD)
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Networking Problem - 08/08/07 07:43 AM
OK,
One more time.
First computer is a Dell Laptop running WindowsXP/Ubuntu
The second computer is a Windows XP desktop.

This is a straight Windows-Windows transfer.
Forget Ubuntu, that is not what I am talking about, it is the simple fact that Windows does not do what it says it does.
Could someone please tell me how it is that you plug an IDE 3.5" HDD into a laptop when the pin configuration does not match, let alone the lack of a power connector.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Networking Problem - 08/08/07 04:22 PM
... with a USB to IDE or PCMCIA to IDA adapter but I do see your problem if you don't have one in your bag of tricks.

Do you have a third machine on the network that will communicate with one of them? (only to figure out which one is broke).
Some times it is easiest to just remove the adapter and reinstall it in the software to be sure everything is set up right. Usually the default settings are the best option when you set up file sharing.

Again, what does "network troubleshooter" say about this

The other option is to put a CDR burner in the desktop (if it doesn't have one) and "sneekernet" the files over. That also gives you a backup.
Posted By: noderaser Re: Networking Problem - 08/08/07 11:12 PM
Did you try the odd trick of adding the IPX/SPX protocol?
Posted By: trollog Re: Networking Problem - 08/08/07 11:23 PM
ok- quick and dirty solution..

1. download WinSCP, install on windows box
2. make sure sshd is running on the linux box
3. at the windows computer, log into your linux box via WinSCP & copy everything from the winbox to /home/trumpy or wherever

WinSCP is free software

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

this bypasses any need for samba configuration, which can be a royal PITA in its own right, mainly because the windoze side never plays nice.. always declaring itself master and blowing out everyone's netbios cache (don't get me started...)

Thats the tool I use for quick and dirty copying.. just needs tcp/ip, an ip addy and sshd. Encrypted too so its nice to use over the internet as well to transfer files and also blows past most ISP's firewalls no problem. I guess the ISP's figure if you know what ssh is and how to use it you are ok in their book.

Posted By: trollog Re: Networking Problem - 08/08/07 11:52 PM
on another note.. and to add to that ipx spx suggestion (which was quite good), net beui is also a simple fast useless (outside of windows world) protocol that won't require any configuration outside a unique netbios name for both machines. why torment yourself with tcpip if you are not going on the internet? Not sure if netbeui still ships with XP or any MS product but it was their flagship networking protocol, when time was...
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Networking Problem - 08/09/07 12:51 AM
Mike,
I really feel your pain. I finally bought a powerfull XP machine in June and had alot of stuff to copy from my 98SE machine. Since my old hard drive was only 36GB, transferring 2GB at a time with an $18 USB drive worked great for me. I did get a wireless router a couple weeks ago and have been suffering through that learning experience. The XP machine created an installation file for the 98 machine. I seem to remember that answering the wizard that it was a home network, assigned it to a different network name. My problem now is that my XP machine is demanding a password that I never assigned from the old machine. At least I can see both machines though. Anticipating problems, I went into Zone Alarm early on and told the one machine to allow xxx.xxx.x.2,and the other one xxx.xxx.xxx.3. If you haven't gotten it to work with a router or directly, perhaps the logging function of the router could help you troubleshoot. By the way, are you able to get to the Internet through the router from either machine? Or at least the router page?
Joe
Posted By: twh Re: Networking Problem - 08/09/07 01:54 AM
I just ran the set-up thing on my wife's xp and found the shared folders with ubuntu on my machine. We're both connected to the internet through the same router.
Posted By: noderaser Re: Networking Problem - 08/11/07 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by trollog
on another note.. and to add to that ipx spx suggestion (which was quite good), net beui is also a simple fast useless (outside of windows world) protocol that won't require any configuration outside a unique netbios name for both machines. why torment yourself with tcpip if you are not going on the internet? Not sure if netbeui still ships with XP or any MS product but it was their flagship networking protocol, when time was...

Not being terribly familiar with Novell protocols (but, apparently dependent on them to make everything run smoothly), I assume that NetBEUI and NetBIOS are related? The IPX/SPX protocol in XP is actually called the "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol", and it also installs "NWLink NetBIOS" automatically.

The last time I used real Novell for anything, was under Windows 95.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Networking Problem - 08/11/07 04:29 PM
I guess I must be the luckiest SOB around. I crank up machines on the bench all the time from scratch, (sometimes just a system board laying on the table) using the setup defaults and they always "file share" with my network without any diddling at all. I am using W/98 but I like things as easy as possible.

BTW after rereading this thread, "sneeker netting" the USB drive does seem to be the easiest solution.

I have a $50 2g USB MP3 player that looks like a drive to windoze that I don't use as much as I should for things like this.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Networking Problem - 08/11/07 04:46 PM
I picked up a 1GB Sandisk Flash Drive for $10 on clearance at my local Radio Shack. I have a network setup with all of my Macs, but the one Windows PC (Vista, bleh) won't talk to my OS X server (Samba turned on, Windows scrambles the password before sending, according to the log on the server.)

I say $10 well spent. iPods and MP3 players work well for this too, like Greg said.

Ian A.
Posted By: kale Re: Networking Problem - 08/14/07 11:25 PM
In my opinion 98 is much easier to network than XP. In XP, you only get the wizard for setup, but in 98, you can change all the parameters yourself.

In interfacing 98 with Linux, we had problems connecting until we found an instruction online having to do with 'windows plain text password'. Even though we weren't using a password, and it wasn't asking for one. You should run into this instruction in relation to Samba.

It always was easier to see the files on the Windows machine from Linux than the other way around.
Posted By: noderaser Re: Networking Problem - 08/16/07 05:58 AM
I don't think they removed any of the setup options with XP; instead of right-clicking and selecting "Properties" on "Network Neighborhood", you do this through for each connection type. Most of the protocols and whatnot are common between connections if you've got multiple ones, but you can still fine tune them individually. I don't use the wizard for crap, because it never seems to work--I have to go in and add IPX/SPX anyway.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Networking Problem - 08/19/07 01:47 AM
Yeah,
I've just transferred a heap of music (with .wma file type) using a USB flash drive and now I'm told that Windows media player cannot play them because I'm missing the licences that go with the files.
Arrrggghh!!.
Where does this all end??.
I also tried to move over a copy of ArcSoft PhotoBase 3 (which is what I use to edit and re-size all the pics that I recieve for ECN postings, it won't work because the computer tells me I cannot open an executable file from a removable drive, even though it is stored in my HDD.
Regarding my attempt at networking these 2 computers together, I think I may have mucked something up, because I can no longer ping between either of them and sending a ping between them gives me 4 "Request timed out" messages.
The laptop is using an IP address of 192.168.0.55.
The desktop is using an IP address of 192.168.0.54.
TCP/IP is enabled on both computers.
File sharing is enabled in both computers.
As far as I can see, this "should" by rights work.
I would like to get this network working, for the sake of my sanity.
I've fiddled around with both computers and can't really see any one thing that could be causing this problem, well, nothing that stands out as an obvious error.
However, I'm all out of answers.
I've never had any problems with networking my laptop to my other Linux computer (Not the desktop I was referring to above).
Personally, as I was saying in my original post, Windows Network Set-Up Wizard is a waste of time and HDD space, it is a dead-end program.
To a degree, so is most of the so-called Trouble-shooting programs in XP.
© ECN Electrical Forums