ITO, you see, there lays one of my problems locally. Architects and Designers who have no interest in codes or standards! EE's who are only paid to do load calc's - stamp the plans - nothing more! And a Planning Dept. that often fails to spot mandatory items on plan check on a consistent or reliable basis.

As well as Customers and GC's who are unwilling or educated enough to hire an outside consultant - or realize that they should. Then I get caught in the middle to force feed them basic requirements in order to comply with just the basics that will enable me to pass inspection for the permit that I have to pull. As the local Inspector in the field is the one with the "No fly Zone" on the matter, but will often not look for the required items (As most of the items finish devices and fixtures) until "Finish". And sometimes that can be a very expensive 'three steps back' from the previous 'two forward'.

So what I and most every other EC does locally is look like the 'bad guy' right up front, as soon as the contract is signed. Throw the plans back to whom ever, 'You need more of this, or that, and if you do that you need one of these...' As most are unwilling to educate themselves - I end up doing it, and by the time you get them used to one code cycle, it is on to the next. I really can not tell you how often I get plans where Title-24 part 6 was even considered! And unless you have $500 shoes, and a flamboyant personality it is really hard to get paid for all the design work that you end up having to do for free to keep the progress on the job. (Even jobs with Lighting Designers I often have throw the plans back, and explain what they missed...)

So with this LEED's thing... It sounds like there will need to be some sort of additional third party to tell you what your recycling bin and vagaries of Building, Plumbing, HVAC and Electrical options are? What happens when your client base is unwilling to forebear this additional, expensive and seemingly unnecessary individual?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason