Originally Posted by djk
Is it actually in the BS546 revised spec or not?

I'm not certain, but I don't think so. I have to confess that I don't follow all these standards revisions that closely, but as these plugs are still listed in catalogs as "BS546:1950" I would suspect that BS546 has never actually seen any revisions since 1950.

The standard MK BS546 5A (and 15A) plugs have hardly changed in decades. Old plug on the left, a new one purchased within the last year or so on the right:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The old plug bears the catalog no. MK1025 inside, the new one is MK1025A. Other than minor variations in the plating and the cord grip material, you can see that they're almost identical.

Both are marked "5A BSS546" on the base. The only other marking differences are that the new plug has "250V" stamped under the earth pin and the old one doesn't; the new plug has the earth symbol as well as "E" against the earth terminal inside; and the old plug says "Made in England" on the base whereas the new one just has a bar there and no indication of country of manufacture.

A rummage through my box has also revealed MK plugs which must be from somewhere in between these two: The "250V" and earth symbol markings are present, but they still say "Made in England."

Seems we're supposed to cut off / replace any older BS1363 plugs that don't have sheathed pins.

What, for all appliances no matter what? That's come into force here for businesses selling second-hand appliances here, although you'll still find older plugs in shops which haven't yet had the "pleasure" of a Trading Standards raid.

To be honest, when it comes to BS1363 I'd rather have a well made 40-year-old MK plug without sheathed pins than one of the cheap-and-nasty modern versions with them.