I really can't see that much problem with BS546.

They can sit half-in/half out if pulled on as they've no locks. Also, they can come loose if the cables are pulled.

True, IEC309s latch together, but just how much of a problem is this in a typical lighting rig? Once the cables are run connected they're not generally subject to the same sort of rigors as, say, building site connections.

They are prone to breakage if they're abused or crushed.

The same could be said for BS1363, and they're allowed in commercial use. The Duraplug style BS546 connectors are generally quite rugged enough for stage lighting use.

Does stage lighting have RCD protection?

Probably not unless it's a TT supply, but what does that have to do with the connector types?

They cant be used in outdoor rigs.

True, but neither can many of the light fittings they're used with here. What's the problem with using BS4343/IEC309 where necessary and BS546 for other applications?

They are legally required here now though. If you put anything else in you're in breech of health and safety regulations.

That strikes me as being completely over the top.

When I was involved with amateur theatre (quite a few years ago now) we used a mixture of 5 and 15A BS546. 5A was adequate for 1kW spots/floods and a bank of 5A outlets certainly use up much less space than a bank of a similar number of IEC309s.

I understand though that professional theatre applications have moved toward using 15A for all connections in recent years and are phasing out use of 5A. There are still plenty in service though.