This thread has become a good discussion about range hoods. I thought I'd add a few pics to help out....

The first two are of a residential install. The hood was fabricated by the customer, who happened to be a HVAC / Plumbing / Mechanical contractor.

[Linked Image]

Now, it turns out that hoods set over an island like that need to be designed differently than hoods place along a wall, and require double the airflow. I do not believe this guy took that into account.

More interesting is his design for the lighting:

[Linked Image]

I think we can see where this is a poor design - even for a residential hood!

The next pic is from an 18 month old restaurant. While the internal EMT is not visible, you can see one of the lights:

[Linked Image]

I include this because the NEC Handbook, in it's commentary that 'conventional enclosed and gasketed fixtures are not permitted," saying that all fixtures, even flush mounted ones, need to be specifically listed and marked for the purpose.
Yet, again, ordinary vaportight fixtures, as seen in this pic, seem to be the norm. Indeed, replacement globes for these are readily available at restaurant supply houses; I'd be very surprised if those globes were ever even in the same Zip Code as UL.

I'll try to get better pics, and I encourage others to add theirs.