Hello bigrockk and mikesh. Thanks for replying. Mikesh...yes, sorry...the ground wire is being used too. Let me explain how this came up...I was trained as a construction electrician in the 70s and worked at that for several years before moving to industrial. I'm not sure I have ever done this myself, but suggested it to someone in the U.S. who basically freaked out totally trying to get me banned from the planet. My example was similar to adding a second 4-way switch by running 2 x 2 wire NMD from an existing 4-way to the new 4-way (not extedning the neutral). Yes...it will always be the case that current will be flowing in only one conductor in each cable...which is obviously viewed by some as a major issue. I have had quite a few CSA and code courses through the years and, other than the obvious problems in large metal sheathed single conductor cable installations...I have never heard of this...and that bothers me. The US people are using phrases like "this will kill someone quickly" and "this is burning down houses". I am wondering if this is actually in the CEC for residential wiring...and how long it has been a rule...and how long it has been common knowledge among contractors in Canada? Any info is appreciated. You are never too old to learn. Thanks guys, eh?