Originally Posted by aldav53
No contactors or switches. Its for 208/240/277v photo cell. Not multi tap. Controlling 4 - 400 watt MH parking lot lights. Drawing 6 amps. All 3 phases 120v to ground, no wild leg. Just have the photo cell in line with one of the phases, Black in, red out, white to neutral.

Whats the phase to phase voltage? (A-B, B-C, A-C) If all are roughly 240 - its a delta. But you say all 120 to ground... 208 phase to phase, with all 120's is a wye system. Just wondering why you mentioned a high-leg earlier???? As you would only get one on a delta....

As mentioned, the initial current can be much more, and can fuse contacts on you. And it may seem contradictory - but that unit may only be rated at 1700VA at that voltage?

http://www.intermatic.com/Default.asp?action=prod&pid=9163&sid=237&cid=52&did=5

I can find the wiring diagram on intermatics site for that model #, but it sounds odd that if it has a neutral it being rated for 208~277. And couldnt tell if that white were to be phase connected for 208 or 240???? Still got the destructions?????

It may have this in it:
Note that multi-voltage models self-adjust for the voltage. Models rated for 120-277 volts will not
work on 120-volts once used on 208-277 volts.

Heres another fun one - I've made this mistake before - Did you wait a while for it to come on? Sometimes it takes ~10 minutes...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason