A 6p6c (RJ11/14) plug is designed to fit in a Cat-5e jack (try it if you don't believe me)

Nobody doesn't believe it- done frequently but that doesn't mean that it is a good idea to install a system with that in mind. There are people who say that a 6 pin plug will damage the outside (#1&8) pins on the 8 pin jack. I don't know because I always treat data separately from voice. I would never use a patch panel for voice, especially combining both on the same panel. Makes no sense to terminate a voice cable on an RJ-45 unless you have an old Merlin system. Each pair needs to be individually accessed and connected depending on the configuration and you would have a tough time doing that with 568B's at both ends. I can tell you from experience that it wouldn't stay that way for very long.

I think some people (depending on where their interest is) put too much emphasis on trying to make an installation "computer compliant". Run CAT5e or CAT6 for everything, use RJ-45's everywhere just in case someone wants to add another computer someday. The poor telephone guy has to jump through hoops because that's not the way it's done where he comes from.

-Hal