Everyone: I agree with the comments re change orders. From now on I will respond to requests for extras by say “That is a great idea, let me write up a change order so you can see how much it will cost and authorize the work.”

Electricmanscott,

Thanks for your post. You are right on with your comment that they don't realize that you only have so much time to complete their job. Based on your comment, when I will tell them that if they authorize the work, the soonest I can do it is X days from now because I am booked up with other customers until them. (This has the added benefit of sending the message that I do quality work and am in high demand.)

I guess it all comes down to knowing that you have to get paid and having the TOOLS to tell the customer in a positive professional way that you need to be paid.

This brings me back to my question about charm school. Does anyone know of any books or other resources so I can sharpen my skills so I present myself as positive, business like and firm when it come to informing the customers about my fees?

Thanks again,

VinceR