Scott: I really enjoy seeing vintage items such as this!! About 20 years ago, I was given an enormous version of this same type of panel (after a fire gutted most of an old dance hall in which it was installed) - I wish I had a digital camera so that I could send in a pic. This behemoth was rated at 100 amps. 120/240 volts, and had basically four sections - a main section, complete with a 2 pole 100 amp "rotor" style main switch [Linked Image] with standard 100a fuses, behind a little access door in the panel cover, plus THREE groups of six plug fuses each (each with it's own little panel door), plus the space to mount three despard devices on a pair of 5" long studs attached to the back of the can (allowing them to protrude through knockouts in the cover). There were old pieces of No. 6AWG solid wire (with rubber/fabric insulation) connecting the line terminals of the fuse sections to the load terminals of the 100 amp main fuses - triple lugged, of course [Linked Image]. The can for this monster was about 20" wide x 36" high!

No manufacturer markings on this thing whatsoever. This must have been a state-of-the-art piece of equipment in its day.

Mike (mamills)

One question: Were you able to retrieve the can that held this unit? In my part of the world, the can is usually left in place and fitted with a solid steel cover plate for use as a J-box to a new panel. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 04-22-2004).]