The problem with any of these laws is that laying down an absolute age doesn't make allowances for degrees of drinking.

Obviously allowing a young kid unrestricted access to strong liquor is likely to cause big problems, but allowing a child a small glass of wine with a family meal from time to time is an entirely different ballgame.

Alcohol in my family mostly came out just at special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, etc., but I certainly remember being allowed a small glass of wine, a snowball at Christmas, and even an occasional sip or two of champagne on very special occasions from the age of 9 or 10 onward. We usually had Bailey's (a kind of cream sherry) at Christmas as well, which I was also allowed to have.

Now at the age of 37, I enjoy an occasional drink, but it doesn't bother me if I go without. I sometimes go months with no alcohol whatsoever, and on a hot day (like we've been having [Linked Image]) I'd just as soon have an ice-cold Coke or Dr. Pepper. Never did acquire a taste for beer.

I want to track the hua down,
Is hua a Kiwi term? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-17-2003).]