NESPARKY,

Such bitterness! Some of what you said is oh so painfully true; BUT ONLY some! I am not sure who you have been getting your info from, but it sounds like you have been impacted by the contractor safety programs of big corporations. Now I am in no way siding with the big boys in this case, but to even the playing field let shine some light on the other side of the fence.

One day their was this snot nosed college graduate with a BS and MS in safety enigneering who stopped some work that he felt was unsafe. He of course got the sermon that the workers, "certified in the trade" has been doing their jobs safely "long before he was a thought in his daddy's pants" and that he should use some "common sense" and let them do their jobs. He walked away, only to have two workers fall 8 feet, that's right just 8 feet! One is now a "veggie" and I might add a very wealthy veggy!!!!! Of course he does not know this as he is still unable to speak or control his bodily functions. After the host company was cited by OSHA thousand dollars for not enforcing those silly OSHA standards, the civil lawyers took over the serious sums of money began to be tossed around, say around $55,000,000.00. So you can imagine what the response from the company was...a contractor safety program. It all goes back to those five workers not wearing their fall protection as required by OSHA, as required by their own company policy, as required by the host employers policy and requested by that snot nose, college educated safety professional who had asked them to compply just days before.

So if you ask me, what's common sense to you, will most likely be greek to me and what's common to me, will most likely be greek to you; so the ONLY answer is for both sides of the fence to work together and learn from each others. No one has all the answer and no one can do it all, but TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFEFENCE!

Bryan Haywood www.SAFTENG.net