BTW,
For the benefit of our NZ members and readers,
I thought I would relate this little tale about CF lamps.
My next door neighbour (an elderly lady), rang me up in a huge panic yesterday evening, as I was about to go off to work, saying that one of her lights was on fire.
Naturally, a fire in a light would take precedence over having a first cup of coffee and a smoke at work.
I got there and she had turned the thing off but there was still smoke coming out of it.
Apparently, like most elderly people here, she is on a fixed pension and wanted to reduce her power bill, so therefore got her son to purchase and install some "Energy-Saving" lamps.
Now, I rang the son once I got to work and asked him where he got the lamps, because I'd never heard of this brand before and he said he bought them at ************.
(Think Red Shed, folks)
Now here is a pic of the lamp that had burned out:

[Linked Image]

You will note that in the top middle of the photo, that there is blackening near where the spiral tube exits the body of the lamp.
Apparently, the lamp got quote "very bright and then there was a large bang and lots of smoke".
I could smell the smoke as soon as I walked in the front door, armed with a CO2 Fire Extinguisher just in case.
For those of you that may have these lamps, here is a pic of the brand and type number:

[Linked Image]

{Sorry about the poor colour quality of these pics, my camera is having a bad hair day}

If you do have them, remove them, they may be a bad batch or whatever, but from what I've just said, they could pose a fire risk, especially if they are being used as an un-attended security lighting source.
I'm going to go down to the vendor of these lamps later on today as I believe that this should not be happening with a lamp that is only 2 months old, or any lamp for that matter.
I'll keep you folks posted. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to fix up typo's}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-20-2006).]