Originally posted by Matt M:
Huh? Out of phase? But isn't this single phase?
No, sir. I discussed this with Scott35 before. I say that if he can have 9 phases, then I can have two.
Although drawn from one phase, the center tap on the secondary winding splits it into two phases. I called them poles to avoid having to argue with Scott.

A single phase, AC service drop consists of two ungrounded (hot) conductors, with a potential difference of 240 volts nominal between them,
But you said nothing of why there are 240 between them. It's not like one is +120 V and the other -120 V.

and a grounded (neutral) conductor with a potential difference of 120 volts nominal between it and either one of the two ungrounded conductors.
You just glossed over one technicality and dug into two more.

I also have a little trouble with the word "carry" with regard to voltage. I think a more accurate term would be "supply".
Yeah, supply/provide/whatever. Carry is for current.

when referring to a nominal voltage such as 120, you cannot really say that an individual conductor supplies 120 volts,
Did you forget to mention that this is a sinusoidal waveform and 120 V is the RMS? No, really, I wasn't trying to overcomplicate it.

I was trying to leave out the details that don't seem important to casual users without saying something wrong.

... like focusing on the importance of the neutral to complete the circuit rather than a ground rod.