Thanks again for the help guys. Trumpy, I think this is a design issue because switchboards must be designed to comply with Regs, Codes, Standards and OSH requirements. AS 3439 definitely implies that the extra plastic shrouding is unnecessary if a tool is needed to open the CT cabinet and "Authorised Persons Only" seals and labels are used. And if creepage and clearance distances are compliant.

Paul says the extra shrouding is a good idea and I agree. There are Meter Potential fuses on the CT busbars and I guess you should be able to change those fuses with a plastic shroud still over the CT bars.

According to the Act Trumpy, switchboard builders who do the prescribed wiring and the testing have to be licensed. Bolting cabinets together etc can be done by anyone.

Its uneconomical but our guys insist on building their own boards, metalwork and all. They're too fussy to let a labourer do their metalwork. In Australia its common for electrical mechanics and labourers to assemble cabinets and even do busbar work.