If it is listed as a dwelling ( however temporary ) it will fall into the category requiring T&I. If it is not listed as a dwelling ( eg a holiday caravan ), but is occupied more than 30 days in any twelve months overnight it will require T&I.
Sheesh! These council people must be insane. [Linked Image] Do they really believe that could be enforced? How are they going to know whether a holiday home is occupied more than 30 days a year? We don't clock in and out!

It's rather like the "Holiday occupation" restriction which still exists on some of the houses in my little settlement. How does the council know how long someone is here? (And frankly, it's none of their business anyway: As far as I'm concerned a person has every right to be on his own property for as long and as often as he likes. [Linked Image] )

It would be interesting to know exactly how your building guy came up with these time limits as well. They sound suspiciously like the local council's idea of what they would like to see enforced. If it's not in the law though, there's nothing they can do about it.

It might be worth writing my local building dept. again and asking what their view is on this matter. Considering that we have quite a lot of holiday caravans in this area (one site about 300 yards from me) you'd think they would have considered this. I won't bet on it though!

To my way of thinking (however rather simplistically though), shouldn't a caravan really be regarded as an oversized appliance, like a big toaster, after all you still plug it in before you use it, don't you?.
Well, a touring caravan (travel trailer to our U.S. friends), yes. I don't see how part P could apply to one at all, since it's clearly a vehicle, not a building.

But what about the "park home" type, sited permanently and hardwired to the supply? In English law, it is still officially classed as a caravan.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-19-2004).]