Yes, I would say that they will qualify under most circumstances.
John,

Not sure which way you meant that. Do you mean yes, they will qualify as being covered by part P, or yes, they qualify as being outside its scope?

Mobile homes may be classed as permanent residences, or dwellings, or whatever the legal terminology is, but they are definitely not buildings in the legal sense of the word. Planning permission depends very much upon the use to which the unit is put. There is no actual requirement to obtain planning consent to physically locate a mobile home on a piece of land. It is the use to which it is put which requires it. (For example, I found out a while ago that if you have a piece of land on which an old house is demolished, the council cannot actually stop you from setting up a mobile home on that land, because the land is already zoned as residential).

The existing requirements of the Building Regs. do not apply to caravans/mobile homes, so my reasoning is that Part P will not be applicable to them either.

I realize that the question is pretty ,uch academic. It seems clear by now that the whole shambles of Part P will be impossible to enforce anyway, even on houses which definitely are covered by it. But it's fun to poke holes in official rules, don't ya think?! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]