The IEC proposal doesn't really make a lot of sense to be quite honest and I can see absolutely no advantage over schuko.

The ungrounded plug is still unpolarised. While the grounded plug is polarised, why not just adopt the French system!? It's polarised too and fully compatable with exsisting CEE 7/7

----

Looking through those tables the vast majority of european countries already use B2/B3 outlets. As does much of the rest of the 230V world.

The CEE 7/7 plug already provides a great sollution. It works seamlessly with both French and German earthing systems and works across pretty much all of Europe except a few odd-ball countries.

-----------

Denmark: (3-pin grounded plug & Europlug)
The exsisting system is dangerous as you can plug CEE 7/7 grounded plugs into the outlets leaving appliences dangerously unearthed.

Should simply move to schuko or if they're fussy about polarisation of their Class I appliences use the French system.

Italy:
The exsisting system is no better / worse than schuko. Outlets that accept both Italian and Schuko plugs are already available. They should switch.

Switzerland:
The system's got polarised grounded plugs ... The French system also provides polarised grounded plugs but full compatability with CEE 7/7... Why not just change over?

UK & Ireland.

Install schuko or French outlets with integrated fuses either 13 or 16A which would make them compatable with the ring circuits.

----

Why should the rest of Europe standardise something that apart from a few exceptions is already standardised?!

You really don't need a bag full of adaptors while traveling around Europe.. from eastern russia to western france is all CEE 7/7 compatable

& All except the UK / IRL will accept europlug ungrounded devices.

The IEC plug also seems suspiciously like the current Swiss system.... I wonder if their being based in Switzerland had anything to do with that?

Outside of Europe it might make more sense as you've a complete mess of various current and obsolete British standards, European standards, Aus/NZ systems along with NEMA 120V outlets being used for 230V.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 11-06-2004).]