What is the area of these small boxes you are using? They sound extremely small. Do you have large devices like GFCIs?

The outlets and circuits here depend on the builder. Paul represented the NEC well. In this area (Northern Illinois), where the electrical power costs are some of the highest in the country, our ranges/ovens are gas. The furnaces, clothes dryers, and water heaters are gas as well.

A typical house here is wired very minimally to maximize the profit of the builder. They are usually two story homes (2-3000 square feet?). The circuits will be as follows:
1st floor lights (15 amp)
2nd floor lights (15)
1st floor outlets (15)
2nd floor outlets (15)
Bathroom GFCI outlets (often on different levels) (20 amp)
Sometimes a master bedroom circuit (15)
2 kitchen counter small appliance circuits (20)
Furnace (15)
Dishwasher (20)
Laundry (washer and gas dryer) (20)
Well (240 volt, 20 amp) if not city water
Sump (20)
Ejector pump-with basement bath (20)
Some also have spas in the master bedroom (20)

As a good design I'd run the general purpose outlets at 20 amp instead of 15, and add the following:

A third kitchen small appliance circuit (20)
Refrigerator/Gas Range (20)
Exterior outlets (20)
Individual bath GFCI circuits (20)
Basement workbench (20)
Garage workbench (20)
Entertainment center-we're serious about our TVs and movies here (20)
Office (20)

For this reason, I get no work from builders. I go in after the builder and give the people the electrical system they THOUGHT they were buying. It's very typical for people to want 4 or 5 ceiling fans for the bedrooms and other areas here also. There's probably more, but this is it, generally.

In other areas that have cheaper power rates, you would find electric ranges (50 amp, 240 volt) and electric clothes dryers (30 amp, 240 volt), electric water heaters (30 or 50 amp?, 240 volt) and electric heat (varies). They would all be on dedicated (individual) circuits.

Dave