Thanks, Paul. I haven't seen this before and spent a bit of time going through old posts.

After review, the ring circuits seem to have some down-sides, especially that a break in the ring wouldn't be noticed without testing at the distribution panel. It would also seem a nightmare when tapped into by an uneducated homeowner or handyman (same as anywhere). Problems also, I suppose if done cheaply, with no consideration for kitchen appliances. Same situation in the U.S. where many general purpose outlets are on a 15 amp, 120 volt circuit and the vacuum cleaner won't run without tripping the circuit breaker!

The only part that really bothers me is that heavy loading on the ring near the distribution panel (causing an over-load on the conductor) "isn't likely". I think it may be more acurate to say that WHEN the conductor bursts into flame it "isn't likely" to burn your house down, because they're constructed of brick. I also feel sorry for you for the small electrical boxes. I like a lot of room for the wires and devices.

What are your feelings on the use of 240-volts over 120-volts for general purpose outlets? It seems to me that voltage drop might be less of a concern, but if you think of voltage as force, a shock might seem like you were getting kicked by a larger horse. I've heard that electricians who work casually on live wiring (and get away with it at 120-volts) are much more likely to die on higher voltages.

Dave