B&Q and the other big DIY chains are found in most big cities here, and many of them carry a rack of how-to leaflets on various topics: How to build a patio, how to wire an extension socket, how to plumb-in a new bath, etc.

DIY has really become a big thing in Britain recently, if all the TV shows dedicated to it are any indication. The shows have been around a long time, but these days there are dozens of them. (*)

DJK,
I guess the UK-specific devices in Ireland are the consequence of being a nation of 3.5 million right next to door one of 55 million. But I wonder why places would stock items if nobody asks for them? The cooker/socket unit for example, might not be allowed under Irish wiring rules, but could it be that many people like to install them anyway?

C-H,
We have Lidl stores in England too. My local has quite good deals on canned and bottled food and drink. They also sell electrical goods from time to time: Cheap portable TVs and computer monitors were on offer last time I was in there.

(*) An aside: I was watching a clip from an old DIY show (early 1960s) the other week, in which they were showing someone how to take that old-fashioned Victorian door with its fancy inlaid panels etc. and turn it into a nice modern door, with smooth finish and new knobs. Today's shows typically show how how to reclaim old Victorian doors and restore them to their former glory!

What goes around comes around, I guess. [Linked Image]