Back on the subject of Vienna trams, my parents and I some years back visited Austria and spend a day in Vienna. Being rail nuts, we took the obligatory ride on a tram. Living as I was at the time in South Africa and having some knowledge of Afrikaans (a kind of Germanic language) was tasked with using my best German (which is awful!) to buy the tickets. The ticket seller having listened to my best impression of the correct way to purchase three tickets in German, smiled and in impeccable English asked me were I wanted to travel to, sold me the tickets and bid me Good Day! I was very impressed as I doubt any driver/ticket seller on the Blackpool system would know a word of German.

The old man has his video camera constantly running on these sort of trips and videos the whole tram ride – interior passengers and all. Shortly after that trip, the new James Bond film starring Timothy Dalton was released (‘The Living Daylights’?) in part of which he is supposed to be traveling on a tram in Bratislava or somewhere. We realized that all this footage was shot on a Vienna tram identical to the one we had traveled on. During editing of the holiday video a two second clip of James Bond’s tram ride was inserted into that part of the journey. It’s over before most people notice it but it’s amusing to hear people say “Hey that was James Bond/Timothy Dalton!?”. “Did you realize he was on board with you?”.