Trams seem to become increasingly popular. Paris once boasted that it was the first large city without trams(!) Now it just like many other european cities boast modern and comfortable trams.

Closer to home: My town, Stockholm, has a patchwork or rail-based means of transport. Ranging from scary old junk are neither tram nor train to new comfortable trams and underground trains.

The agency running them is cash struck, so it has been round Europe trying to find more junk. On the line where I live, we know have three different Swedish local trains, old Danish wagons pulled by locomotives from a freight company, some German trains from the Olympics in Munich 1972 and even a set of railcars out of the museum!

I'm no train buff but I just have to add some pictures:

The rail layout look like this. Each colour is a different line and vehicle type, except the three undground lines (red, green, blue)

The map is too big to post directly: Click here

{I have server problems at the moment, the link might not work. I hope the problems will go away}

The musem piece

[Linked Image from jarnvag.net]

The German trains (still owned by Deutsche Bahn) (It's not my photo, but I live 200m into the picture.)

[Linked Image from jarnvag.net]

The Swedish trains look just the same, only with flat fronts.

The trams range from:
[Linked Image from w1.870.telia.com]

to

[Linked Image from sl.se]

And finally this modern lousy excuse for a train, which I grew up next to:

[Linked Image from sl.se]

The old trains (some of which were of wood) looked a lot nicer. The gauge of this line is three Swedish feet, 891mm. 1500V DC overhead and it went electric in 1896!

I'll better stop here before you all fall asleep.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 03-27-2003).]