Occasionally in Ireland very heavy appliences like dryers, dishwashers and the odd washing machine that draws a steady 3KW during heating cycles or that might peak more than that will have to be wired with a 16 amp plug or BS 546 on a 16 amp spur as 13 amp plugs won't quite cover 3KW at 220V especially if the voltage is dipping lower occasionally. Generally because of lack of polarisation with schuko and availability of schuko sockets on a standard box being difficult. BS 546 gets used although i've seen schuko and i've seen heavy industrial plugs used out of sight behind the machine and a heavy switch above the counter which is prob. the safest sollution considering they're near plumbing [Linked Image]

E.g. we had a 3KW fan heater plugged-in in Cork city centre area and it burnt out 4 plug fuses in a day!

Some older british 240 V rated central heating systems can have occasional spark problems too. 230 V gear all seems fine.

The supply is generally very close to 220V and tends to dip lower rather than being higher. Considering that the ESB has been using standardised 220V since the 1930s it's unlikely that they'll really adjust things up to 230 V even in new installations.

I wonder if newly installed distribution systems really 230 V or are they still 220 (IRL/EU) and 240 in UK as they always have been?