Perhaps I should have said "litigation-happy world".... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Has anyone ever run across those heaters that used special tubular light bulbs instead of nichrome wire? They're like from the turn of the century or someting....(1900s).

Ragnar,

Next time you are in New York City in the winter and REALLY want a Heat Dish, I can take you to the stores where they sell them. Although the prices I've seen are pretty excessive (especially on the internet). You can get a good fan-forced heater for half the price if you know where to shop.

I really don't think the Heat Dish is all that great for exactly the reason you said (infrared only)....I only started seeing them again in the last 8 years or so.

Before that the "electric fire" that I saw the most consisted of this rectangular tin box with a coil of nichrome wire zigzagging horizontally across a refletive tin surface and a fan in the back to blow the heat around the room. It always looked to melike a monster with glowing teeth in a dark room when I was a little kid...

Quartz heaters with fans in little plastic boxes seem to be the in-vogue thing the past few winters. I guess they're safer because there's no exposed metal to get hot.

My personal favorite is the oil-filled electric "radiator." I have one but thank God don't need to use it at all because I finally live in an apartment with PLENTY of steam heat! And since I liver right over the boiler room in the basement, with steampipes running right underneath the floor, I have nice warm floors also!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 03-06-2003).]