Hutch:
Way to go! I think you can come out of the bomb shelter. Just look out for that Austrian guy... [Linked Image]

Your suggestion looks just like a Chinese socket, and considering the fact that China is a quarter of the world it has a good chance of becoming the world's most common plug [Linked Image]

David:
I think I can solve the polarity problem with two round pins. Make the plug body and the socket recess assymetric. This would allow ungrounded IEC60906 plugs to work in all present European sockets, although without polarization. In the UK only the new sockets would accept these plugs and the plug would therefore be polarized in the UK.

I have never seen a plug pin break. Perhaps the British plugs with it's long earth pin offset are sensitive to this?

The recess isn't as bad a dirt trap as one would think, but there is a dirt build up on the top of any socket that sticks out of the wall. We should keep any recess as shallow as possible and get the sockets to be entirely flush mounted.

I would also add that there is little point in introducing another plug & socket standard unless ALL major industrialised countries agree to adopt it.

I agree. There is no point in introducing a European only plug. It must be a world-wide standard, otherwise we are better of with the present situation.

Paul:
Switches on sockets are instead of recess or insulating sleeves on live pins.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 12-23-2002).]