Kent,

Yes, I think the EU is working toward standardizing just about everything in our part of the world. There are still some obstacles to electrical matters from our I.E.E., though.

As you will know, the "Schuko" plug that you use is about the most widely used in Europe, but our committees in the U.K. are reluctant to adopt it because it's non-polarized (i.e. there's no way to guarantee which way line and neutral are connected).

With regard to the grounded boxes and conduit you found, I would have thought this was standard practice in Sweden.
Our IEE Regulations here certainly specify that all metallic conduits and boxes must be grounded, and even though compliance with the Regs.is not compulsory for residential wiring, no decent electrician would ever leave boxes without a ground. (Just think what would happen if a live wire shorted to the inside of a conduit.)
Sweden has quite a reputation for safety matters, so I'm sure this wouldn't have been overlooked.

Incidentally, I know most distribution in Scandinavia is 3-phase 220/380V, but I know some areas have a 220V service fed from a transformer with a grounded center tap. Do you have any of these systems in Sweden?