I have had two experiences using an "Add-A-Phase" unit. This is simply adding a unit (manufacture not mentioned) that consists of a motor to obtain that third leg, to create that beautiful/harmonic/energy-efficient three-phase power. Unfortunately, both of these experiences were ugly. The units worked, but the "Add-A-Phase" units created a lot of heat and the fountain systems was eventually rewired so that only the motor was on this ""Add-A-Phase" three-phase load.

Since the two nightmares, I have had several great experiences with variable frequency drives. This VFD allows single-phase power coming in the unit and three-phase power going out of it. There are so many VFD manufacturers out there. Any manufacturer would be glad to tell you what model to use for your application. They will also tell you what size conductors you will need going in and out of the unit. And if you're not comfortable with the on-board programming, I know that there are manufacturers that will pre-program the unit for you, to get the sale. If you need three phase power for a motor, then this is the way to go, VFDs include a motor starter and a motor protector.