I ran across a hot tub that requires a 240V 50A feeder. The problem is the control panel has no provisions to terminate a raceway, no knockouts. All it has is a clamp the says turn one way for #6 and turn the other way for #8 wire. It works along the same lines as a cord cap clamp that secures a cord.

The factory told me the unit was not made to cord connect and just stop the conduit off and run an open cable into the clamp on the control panel. They did not see a problem. I told them it must have a raceway to the control panel or be cord connected but the receptacle must be min of 5' form the tub wall, be single locking and GFCI. They told me the tub was not meant to be hardwired. I told them there was no code compliant way it could be done. They told me I did not know what I was talking about when I told them it must have a hard raceway with an insolated grounding conductor except for the last 6' could be sealtite. I told them only that in the dwelling portion to the disconnect could be NM cable.

They thought I had lost my mind and this was done everywhere. They said another alternative could be to just have open THHN within the tub skirt and just stub out the 1" conduit in the tub. 680.42 states it shall comply with parts I and II of art 680. It got really bad on the phone. This guy really thought I was in left field. Any thoughts. He got tired of arguing and said he would have an engineer call me.

-necbuff
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]