If you do not like the code work to have it changed.

Be careful what you wish for... [Linked Image]

We all know what would be first on my chopping block. [Linked Image]

Your AHJ is wrong to let it slide and you are wrong for doing it.

I take it you're unfamiliar with 90-4? Or do you choose to ignore it?

And that Article of the Code allows the AHJ the right to make that judgement call. Who are any of us to say that he's so wrong in this case that the bloody house will burn? It would be his call anyway!

Anyone have documented proof that recessed cans installed as planned here have started any fires/created any hazards beyond the normal use of such lighting in a small space? (edited to add: And since when is 12' by 16' a small space, anyway? That's as big as a lot of master bedrooms.)

As for local amendments, that of course varies. But, I can tell you absolutely that the last six or seven installs for home screening rooms had master suites with walk-in closets. And guess what kind of lighting was installed? Of those, two had LV Halogens!! All inspected and signed off by the AHJ. (As was my projection equipment.) And I can tell you, that AHJ is tough.

It is very simple.

No, it is not. That's why this thread is revealing so many different answers to a question that can go either way.

We all know there are no cut-and-dry solutions to a lot of the issues that crop up in any electrical installation. Even the simple set up of a film projection system, despite using the same equipment for 40 screens, you'll see about 40 different variations on set-up, layouts, sometimes panel schedules, conduit layouts, etc.

The Code does allow flexibility. And so far, in this case, as the install was described, not one person here has come up with any solid reasons why one can't use recessed lights!!!

Oh, I have also noticed that no one has quoted the exact Code Article and subsection,etc. this would allegedly violate.

This is an NEC forum, we are not going to recommend ignoring, violating or selective enforcement of the NEC.

No one is suggesting such. What the OP is looking for is guidance on the situation at hand. And so far, as he has described the proposed installation, there is no violation!

As for selective enforcement, does anyone here believe for a minute that a form of it isn't going on all the time? Take a good hard look at anyone's installation (mine included) and I guarantee you will find some (albeit minor) violation of some Article of the Code.

No inspector is all-seeing, and will not look at each and every fixture, receptacle and j-box in anything other than a very minor addition or renovation. It would be physically impossible and I promise that no one here, me included, would ever pass an inspection first time around if that were so.

Sheesh. Texassparky, talk to your AHJ, get his/her take on this and let us all know what the outcome is. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 01-25-2007).]

Stupid should be painful.