ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9920 05/21/02 11:09 AM
S
In gound well pumps (sprinkler system) and GFCI protection, any code reference would be appreciated, haven't been able to find anything specific.

Want to make sure GFCI is not required.

G
GFCI rules are found in 210-8. You did not say if this was residential/commercial, or if the source was outside/inside. If you are utilizing a 110 volt outlet outside, I'd say yes it is required, other than that, need more info.

S
This is a residential well to be fed from indoor subpanel with UF cable.

Well will have submersible pump and will be strictly for yard sprinkler system.

I am assuming it will be 240 volt but possible that it will be 120V, haven't seen it yet.

Just want to know if there is a firm rule/code section requiring GFCI for these applications.

S
(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
(1) Bathrooms
(2) Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and areas of similar use

Exception No. 1: Receptacles that are not readily accessible.
Exception No. 2: A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)(8).

(3) Outdoors
Exception: Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied by a dedicated branch circuit for electric snow-melting or deicing equipment shall be permitted to be installed in accordance with the applicable provisions of Article 426.

(4) Crawl spaces — at or below grade level
(5) Unfinished basements — for purposes of this section, unfinished basements are defined as portions or areas of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and the like
Exception No. 1: Receptacles that are not readily accessible.['i]
[i]Exception No. 2: A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)(8).

Exception No. 3: A receptacle supplying only a permanently installed fire alarm or burglar alarm system shall not be required to have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection.

(6) Kitchens — where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces

(7) Wet bar sinks — where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces and are located within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the wet bar sink.

(8) Boathouses

H
There is no code even if the pump was fed by a recptical as long as its a single it would be covered by a dedacated circuit/perment in place rule if there is any metel piping or casing make sure there is a egc ran to it
:Wayne

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe

Link Copied to Clipboard