ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#96585 12/09/05 11:34 PM
S
All -

I am under the impression that the NEC is not a "leagal" document nor is it enforceable unless it has been adopted (codified)by the local municipality (city/town, county, state).

While most do, I do not believe that it is "required" by any law that the various municipalities do so.

Please, this is not a question as to the merits of the NEC, just a question as to what force of law it has.

If there are references to the contrary I would be interested in taking a look at them.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks
Steve
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#96586 12/10/05 12:06 AM
G
You are right. The NEC is just a standard. Until some AHJ adopts it as law it has the same legal standing as the Boy Scout Motto.

Greg Fretwell
#96587 12/10/05 06:14 AM
E
e57 Offline
Here in CA, (as are you skingusmc) Title 24 part 3, (with some enery related crapola in part 6) is the law of the land for the 2004 California Electrical Code, in the very least, effective 8/1/05. (2002 NEC with some changes) Cities and towns may further adopt or change things in that.
http://www.bsc.ca.gov/title_24.html

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#96588 12/10/05 08:59 AM
R
Ron Offline
I think in most, if not all jurisdictions, the NEC is adopted by local or state law.
For example, here's the NYC code http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/sec4a_ll_81_2003.pdf

Ron
#96589 12/10/05 09:40 AM
H
Here in Virginia, we have the VUSBC (VA Uniform Statewide Building Code) which adopts the different model codes as ammended by the state legislature. We just recently adopted the 2003 VUSBC and have a year grace period to get used to it.

#96590 12/10/05 09:52 AM
J
Some of the users I have run into on forums have said that where they live the NEC has never been adopted.

Other areas, like Baltimore County MD have local code that has been adopted along side the NEC, and modifies the code in specific areas.

Some areas have adopted the most recient version of the code, other areas on behind in addopting the most recient version.

#96591 12/10/05 01:24 PM
G
The difference betweel model legislation and a standard is the AHJs right to reproduce and publish.
Model legislation is given away with all rights to use the language in a law. Things like the NEC get adopted but the language still belongs to NFPA.

Greg Fretwell
#96592 12/11/05 06:45 PM
H
Here in NJ the state will adopt the NEC, but they will make a few changes. The state doesn't change much and some of it is very small changes. For example, the state will remove the wording every where in the NEC where it mentions the AHJ and instead insert, "The electrical sub code official". That is a minor change. A major change is that the state does not require the use of AFCI's yet. Also we are still working on the 2002 NEC right now.

#96593 12/11/05 07:38 PM
Cat Servant
Under our system, nothing is a "law" unles it has been adopted by a governmental body; then it is "law" only as far as that body is concerned. For example, something being adopted in California has no bearing here in Reno.
Nor is any body required to adopt something complete; in the case of the NEC, most places have their own ammendments that they add to it; one common example is the prohibition against using armored cable.

The NEC is likely the most widely adopted code. At least one edition of it has been adopted by OSHA, so it has near universal application- at least as far as OSHA is concerned.

As a practical matter, if your work complies with both "trade practice" and almost any edition of the NEC, you're pretty sure to be in compliance with whatever the actual code is, wherever in the USA you are. The areas where you wuold be affected by recent changes, or local ammendments, tend to be fairly narrow in scope- and arguably of minor impact.
(As an example, our local code requires a 10 ft. ground rod. Put in an NEC compliant 8 foter, and not only are you unlikely to get caught- but you almost certainly have an adequate ground).

Generally, governmental bodies are independent of each other, and may not impose their views on other such bodies. That's why "funding" is used as a lever.

Once a code has been adopted as law anywhere, it effectively enters the public domain, and "belongs" to everyone. This matter, which has been the point of some recent court actions, is of some distress to the multitude of "model code writing" groups- who have managed to make quite a decent living publishing frequently updated codes.

#96594 12/12/05 01:28 AM
S
All -

Thanks to everyone for your comments and thoughts.

e57 - I knew that CA had adopted the 2002 code and was wondering if it "applied" to cities/counties. It seems that these localities may choose to adopt it or not.

Thanks
Steve
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard