Heres the residential changes to Title 24 http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/earlycompliance/index.html
look at the presentation, good stuff there
1. Need airtight recessed fixtures
2. Need IC rating
3. Kitchens need 50% high efficay lighting
4. Low efficay lighting in kitchens must be on seperate switch
5. Bathrooms must be high efficay or motion sensor (yuck!)
6. Garages, laundry room, and utility rooms must meet the same requirements of bathrooms.
7. All other rooms must be high efficay or motion sensor. Except small closets
8. Outside lighting must be high efficay or motion controlled and photocell.
Commercial is a different beast, engineers calc the specs. Always energy efficient fixtures, lots of motion sensors, time clocks, bypass switches.
Hope you dont do much residential, the soccer moms are going to love the high efficay requirements