ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Well basicly my county has not yet adopted the 2005 NEC, and they will not do so until mid 2006 or 2007 (I don't know, don't ask me, thats what the chief electrical inspector has told me).

Well now this inspector is going to fail every house that is currently wired in accordance with 2005 because it hasn't taken effect yet.
Only change we have adopted is that we have all 15amp circuits except for the outside circuit AFCI protected.

This can't be right cause 2005 is just stricter then 2002 code so how can he possibly failing us for overprotecting?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
Sounds like a good question for the AHJ. How could I fail an inspection for going over and above the current code. Is not the nec the minimum requirements?

The NEC can be 'minimum' and 'maximum'; dependent on what you may be looking for or at.

That said, I have never heard of anyone 'failing' for exceeding the requirements of the current NEC. Basically, if the '02 says "A", and '05 says "A+", and you do "A+" how could you fail??? Unless it is a local thing in your areas.

Here in NJ, the '02 is in effect; the '05 may be adopted "any day now", but none of us are holding our breath.

Does your area have an 'appeal' process for disagreements with the AHJ's???

John

John
Cat Servant
It does pay to know your local codes...

Sure, if you install an AFCI in a place where it is not required, there is no violation. There was no prior rule saying 'not to do it.'
If you want to Romex a four story building, then you might have an issue, as rules for the use of NMC 'loosened up' some.

You can only be cited for violating the adopted code.....if you happen to comply with some other code- so what?

ok did i miss something in the 2005 about afi's cause i thought only bed rooms had to be protected?

and oh yea over protecting has to be an oxy-moron, no such thing.... would the inspector knock you down if you gfi protected other circuits in the house like the living room or great room where a child might have access to the outlets? these afi's will soon be the standard. even though afi's detect peaks/spikes aren't they somewhat of a glorified gfi? since they will also trip when you touch the ground and neutral together?

h20

M
aren't they somewhat of a glorified gfi? since they will also trip when you touch the ground and neutral together?

Not exactly. AFCI's have ground-fault protection built in, but it isn't Class A 4 to 6 mA type protection. More along the lines of 30 mA. Some brands will trip if you check them with a wiggy, but not all. A standard GFCI tester won't trip them.

As for failing inspections because houses are wired to the '05 standards, that should only happen if something is permitted in the '05 code that is prohibitted in the '02. And, as ridiculous as that sounds, it's one of the problems we run into when we run a code cycle (or more) behind. Here in Michigan, we may not see the '05 Code adopted until the middle or end of '06. And that's only if the Homebuilders Association doesn't hold it up like they did the '02.

A
Does the inspecor have a hearing problem because of his butt cheeks ?
If it in not a violation of the 2002 then it is in compliance.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
F
Well all of this being said if this inspector continues his crap like this I'm gonna call the chief electrical inspector.

This inspector is a framing inspector who is doing building final's.

G
foestauf wrote:
Only change we have adopted is that we have all 15amp circuits except for the outside circuit AFCI protected.
As watersparksfalls pointed out, nothing substantive has changed for AFCI's. See 210.12 of your 2005 NEC.

Depending on your area, a 2005-compliant house may not be '02-compliant. An example would be jetted bathtubs (680.74). The requirements have loosened up a shade. If the AHJ takes issue with this, and they amend 2005 before they adopt it, to change this, that's their right. It's presumptive to assume they will adopt 2005 with no changes.

For the most part it's more restrictive, not less, therefore complying with the 2005 wouldn't mess with you for the most part. But it's something you have to bear in mind. [Linked Image]

What would compel you to wire all with AFCI's? (I'm not saying it's illegal, it's not, but curious why.)

-George
I read the other day that the State of Wis. has adopted '05 NEC ,but DELETED the AFCI requirement ...210.12
I don't know if other states have dropped it though

Tom
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard