ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9040 04/14/02 08:15 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Originally I planned the opening of my doors as an electrical contractor with soliciting the advice from every ear i could bend. The SBA , SCORE Legal Resouces Local & other Chambers as well as some regional development guru's.
I had accumulated a wealth of info....seaching for that certain influence.

One day i happened to strike up a conversation with one of the local lawnmower jockeys. A good fellow, yet far from the sharpest knife in the draw, he said;
" Well I just don't work for people i don't like"

For all the spreadsheets, charts & 5 yr plans this K.I.S.S. method has been my primary doctrine..
{yes, i'm aware it works 2 ways..}

So...am I a minority here???????????????

[Linked Image from usatoday.com]

[Linked Image]

#9041 04/14/02 08:26 PM
Steve, you look just like Forrest Gump!

[Linked Image]

I'm finally getting to the point that I can choose a little... My trouble is not wanting to burn bridges of loyal customers, but also wanting to get into bigger jobs... Someday I may wish I'd made time for the little customers...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#9042 04/15/02 05:52 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
LOL!
Steve, you look just like Forrest Gump!

well he did make good in the movie...
[Linked Image]

#9043 04/18/02 09:36 PM
M
I have been in business for about 10 years.
I started out helping my dad who did electrical work on the side and discovered that electrical work is something that I wouldn't mind doing for free and I could make a living at it.
I started doing residential work,then started doing maintenance work for a mall.
Pretty soon the mall put me on their contractor's list and I started wiring stores. We have done all types of work now including stores, small factories, hotels, high school sports fields, etc.
I averaged 1 or 2 employees over the years but have been up to 10.
While we were doing the "contract" jobs we didn't have time to do the residential jobs or the little jobs. The mall manager got angry with me because she wnted something done "immediatley" and we didn't have time.
Now my overhead is high and we hve to persue commercial work because residential costumers can't afford us. (In our area electricians or contractors do not have to be licensed and there are a lot of 1 man operations that do residential work that we cannot compete with.)
Now, I'm very much in debt and considering bankrupsy.
I never really had a plan and my business grew uncontrolled due to my inexperience at business practices.
I also talked to S.C.O.R.E. and they didn't have anyone that could advise a contractor.
If you can't find a mentor that has CONTRACTING experience - do yourself a favor and work for someone else.
If not, set goals and find a way to meet them and consider ALL of the consequenses of ALL of you decisions.
Good Luck!

#9044 04/18/02 10:45 PM
I say the most important thing that a person can do is count all of the costs. If you can determine how much it will cost you to be in business, you will know how much to charge. Determining the cost is the most difficult part because there is always something that gets left out.
Once you determine your cost, then you can set sales goals that you must meet, or you won't have enough money to make ends meet.
Read a book called "Mark Up and Profit in Construction" by Stone. It will help.

Best Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

Link Copied to Clipboard