ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89545 09/29/04 07:07 PM
A
ayrton Offline OP
Can anybody tell me what is on the Masters exam? A local city here is using that for there liscensing exam.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89546 10/01/04 06:45 PM
T
I just took the State of Maine Master exam in July, and there where a lot of questions on voltage drop, power loss, grounding. Lot of general knowledge questions. probably 10-15 questions out of 80 where in the code book. don't know if this helps any.

#89547 10/05/04 09:54 AM
R
I'm getting ready to take the Supervisors exam Oregon. I'm told that there is a 75% failure rate for the first go round. So the 2002 code book is my new best friend...Calculations ,calculations, calculations!
I thought that the application process was a bit odd, because I'm from out of state I had to prove twice the experience as an applicant who has his experience in the state. Doesn't make a fella feel very welcome. Been plyin' the trade now since '81 and it's been a while since I wired a residence, if I hadn’t been working a few side jobs on custom homes with a buddy that has his contracting license, I would have had a real problem providing proof of 2000 hrs residential experience. The only company I did residential work for prior to the custom homes I wired in the 90’s was in CO and it is now out of business, (the owner died of a heart attack) and I couldn’t find any of the 4 other electricians that worked for him with out hiring a PI. Oregon requires that your experience 16000 hours exp. be on company letterhead and notarized, or on the states form and notarized. (with 2k res. 2k comm. and 2k ind.)
For part of my 16000hrs exp I worked in an oil refinery (93 to 99 an easy 2k of industrial exp). After I left the company sold the refinery, (it was latter sold another 2 times) and the company was eventually bought by a larger oil company. I asked my former supervisor to provide a letter documenting my experience. He said he would be glad to but I had to go through HR. HR said that I didn’t work for them I had to get that info from the company I worked for. I called the company that bought out the company I worked for and explained that they had bought the company but the original company sold the refinery. That HR said that the records would be in the plant and I needed to have a print out mailed to them. I called the refinery and had the documentation mailed. After it arrived I explained that I needed company letterhead and a notary. They declined saying that I did not work for them so they couldn’t actually verify the experience. I chased this dog in a circle for a few more times before I realized that I wasn’t going to get an official company document from anyone. Then I called Oregon Building Codes Division and explained my plight. I was amazed to here that the state didn’t want to her anything from a company HR, they are looking for documentation from someone who personally knew you and had knowledge of the work you were doing.
I rounded up personal contacts in the trade and we scrapped up the required letters of reference and one by one I paid the price of the notary.
All in all it took about 2 weeks and a trip back to the old neighborhood to gather the docs for the application. And now as I look back on it, if I didn’t have the necessary hours to qualify, I could have paid a couple of people to make up a bunch of crap, put it on the form and have it notarized. Notaries only verify the signature on the document matches the driver’s license of the person who signs it. They don’t know if the information is factual.
When I joined the union in 99 I had to show experience but they took my Social Security print out as proof. It’s kinda hard to fudge on your Soc. It would make the OR State process a lot quicker; sooner or later I gotta get a paycheck coming in. Can’t take a call without a license, can’t get a lic without a test, can’t take a test without docs. Started out the beginning of September…won’t eat till November. It would be nice if the state would give a 90day grace period for out of state’rs that can prove sufficient experience.
Doesn't make a fella feel very welcome.

Link Copied to Clipboard