ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Video: Inventor of the GFCI self-testing shocks
by Bill Addiss. 01/17/18 11:11 PM
FPE in Germany
by HotLine1. 01/17/18 07:07 PM
VDE 0100 to introduce AFCIs
by LongRunner. 01/17/18 10:32 AM
Fujifilm Recalls Power Adapter Wall Plugs
by Admin. 01/16/18 07:04 PM
Air Compressor feeder conductor sizing
by Potseal. 01/15/18 09:08 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How to monitor utility power ahead of disconnect #84564
04/11/03 10:10 AM
04/11/03 10:10 AM
arclight  Offline OP
Junior Member
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 2
Manassas, VA USA
All: I have several thousand locations where I have a single-phase service (a few are 3-phase), a transfer switch to allow me to bring in a portable generator to run the facility, and a typical load center. I am being asked to provide status of utility power ahead of the transfer switch. Technically this is a no-brainer (a 240 V relay would work nicely) but I am stumbling over how to make this NEC-compliant. NEC 230-82 tells me I can have either an instrument transformer or a "load-management device" ahead of the service disconnect, but I am foggy on how to size and protect the connection to the service entrance conductors.

I had considered installing a small 2-circuit load center with a relay on the output side of the breakers in question, but I am afraid this is overkill, and for several thousand installations any extra cost is a big negative. Is this the right approach? Assuming it is, how do I make the connection from this new load center to the service entrance conductors (which are screwed down to the appropriate lugs on the transfer switch)? Do I have to size the supply conductors the same as the 200-A service conductors? I presume so, but again I don't want to overkill.

As you can see NEC interpretation is NOT my strong suit, so I figured I'd post here and see what advice I could get.

Comments / suggestions are all welcome.

2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
Re: How to monitor utility power ahead of disconnect #84565
04/11/03 12:27 PM
04/11/03 12:27 PM
resqcapt19  Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,148
If you really need to be on the line side of the existing service disconnect, you will have to install an additional service disconnect. You can use some type of tap device to tap the service entrance wires and run to the line side of the new disconnect. The tap device would not be required if the terminals on the service disconnect are suitable for more than one wire (not likely). These tap wires can be sized to the new smaller service disconnet. The new disconnect must be in the same location as the existing one. I don't think that the minimum size requirement in 230.79 applies to a service disconnect for power monitoring equipment.
Why do you need to be on the line side of the service disconnect?

Re: How to monitor utility power ahead of disconnect #84566
04/11/03 12:30 PM
04/11/03 12:30 PM
Ron  Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 582
White Plains, NY
Many transfer switches have an aux contact for monitoring.
I would suggest that you do not want to monitor the utility side of the main disc., but the load side of the transfer switch. You might not care if the utility power is available if the main is tripped, hense the monitoring on the load side.

Re: How to monitor utility power ahead of disconnect #84567
04/11/03 02:02 PM
04/11/03 02:02 PM
arclight  Offline OP
Junior Member
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 2
Manassas, VA USA
Thanks for the replies.

As things are today the transfer switch is a manual ON-OFF-ON device. In some jurisdictions this apparently has been allowed to pass as a disconnect device as well. The application requires that we be able to sense the presence of utility power regardless of the position of the ON-OFF-ON switch.

Re: How to monitor utility power ahead of disconnect #84568
04/11/03 04:22 PM
04/11/03 04:22 PM
Bjarney  Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,527
West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
It is remotely possible that something like a Buss HEB holder/KTK fuse could be acceptable for the tap conductor. They have accessory rubber insulating boots and some, a provision for two larger conductors on one end—sort of a feed-through feature.

There may be a version that accepts a UL class-CC fuse [200kAIR] making it a true branch-circuit-protective device. The load side of the holder is intended to keep the fuse captive on occasional opening of the holder.

If service is 120/240V, simplification using one fuse and a 120V relay may do. {There are otherwise similar two-pole holders available.}

Littelfuse and Shawmut may have similar… The “breakaway” feature is probably undesirable—it’s to save a roadway light standard from being dragged by a crashed vehicle.


2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Washington...Not DC
Posts: 222
Joined: March 2005
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
sparky 22
Admin 20
Potseal 13
Popular Topics(Views)
243,530 Are you busy
180,334 Re: Forum
170,823 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.019s Queries: 14 (0.004s) Memory: 0.9687 MB (Peak: 1.1060 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-01-18 05:37:59 UTC