ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#71952 11/11/06 04:27 PM
togol Offline OP
I will be installing some new stuff ...
there are two workstations and four flat monitors. the plug on the monitors is strange but I finally tracked down the type , and it is a DVI D dual input.

..24 pins + one flat one that is horizontal..

I found a few places that sell the longer cables, and was also looking for a panel mounted plug for a 1g trim plate...

....the raceway will be wiremold BTW

but only a single channel conn is available .

any suggestions??

the longest run will be about 25'

Tom
H
http://www2.dvigear.com/dviwallplates1.html

DVI is pretty old actually, nearly all HD cable boxes have it as the output. It does not carry the audio so you are going to have to run a couple of RCA cables also if the monitors have speakers.

You are going to have to use pre-made cables too. I have not seen connectors and cable available separately. I don't think you would be up to soldering those multi-pin connectors anyway.

The current replacement for DVI is HDMI. This is a much smaller connector (somewhat like USB but larger) and it carries the audio also. There are DVI to HDMI adaptors and cables if you should need one. Most new HD TVs have a HDMI input ot two.

Might want to check this page out too- http://www.dvigear.com/education/connref.html

(Edited to include reference material)

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 11-11-2006).]

H
I've purchased several cables and jacks and plates from Ram Electronics and was pleased with the quality: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_monitor_cables.html

togol Offline OP
Hal, the screens and workstations are an upgrade for a coal dumper at a fossil powerhouse...no sound needed....just being used as displays...

here are the monitors...... http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=222-0863

I am concerned about the length of the cables and picture quality, or do you think that distance is OK ??
and you're right about me NOT wanting to try to fab the cables.... [Linked Image]

Tom
togol Offline OP
HLCbuild,

thanks for the link.....I will hand it off along with the one I found to the head shed tomorrow...thanks

Tom
H
If you notice these things aren't computer monitors anymore they are really HD TVs. I heard that computers were going to do away with the analog VGA video outputs and go to the same digital connection (DVI and HDMI)used by TVs. So here you have it.

As for the cable length I see no problem. If you check they are made in much longer lengths- 60+ feet. I know just because they have cables that long doesn't mean that they are good to use but again I don't think there will be a problem since this is digital not analog.

If you do have an instance where you have to go longer (usually when HD TV's are used for advertising or signage) there are converters for each end that will put the DVI or HDMI onto a couple of CAT5 cables.

-Hal

togol Offline OP
I hadn't noticed that change..except they are getting bigger.
.to be honest,I don't mess around with this computer stuff much....but this project seems to be missing some things.....

little things....... like a plan,
or a layout, cut sheets, maybe a BM.

ALL I did was ask about the cabling and I got a pretty good look from the superintendent .... apparently these screens hook themselves up... [Linked Image]

.so I took it upon myself to help him, and now find myself here with more questions

Tom
H
...to be honest,I don't mess around with this computer stuff much...

Neither do I but it seems to me that it's getting easier because everything is converging. At least you won't be back here when you buy your HD TV and want to connect it to your cable box. Most of us are more familiar with TVs than computer monitors but now it's all the same.

-Hal

togol Offline OP
hahaha....good point Hal,

we will find out what he has to say this morning, .....I"ll give him the weblinks at the safety meeting.

thanks again to both you and HLCbuild

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard