Do an insulation test on it which will give you the condition of the insulation of the wiring and the fixture. Possible a poor termination or loose strands may touch the outer exposed metal. Bear in mind that you have a dangerous situation at the moment and do not touch it with your hand whatsoever. Chance of electrocution is possible. Take it out and test it or get a new one, at the moment it is dangerous !!
The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#70225 - 10/02/0608:20 PMRe: Saltwater fish tank, help with current leak
I've worked on a few saltwater aquariums and have not been shocked. I have done work for a "fish tank cleaning guy" that probably works on 30-50 different salt aquariums a week, and I know none of them shock him.
I don't think it's safe to say that it's common to recieve a shock in saltwater. You have a problem with your equipment, find the problem and get rid of it or the equipment. Also, you should put all your saltwater equipment on GFI's. I have found faulty pumps tend to trip them out, especially the cheap pumps from overseas. Check heaters as well.
#70228 - 10/02/0609:16 PMRe: Saltwater fish tank, help with current leak
I'm gonna try the ground probe I posted and then I'm going to bond the fiture to a definate ground.
And Mhulbert... you might wanna ask your fish guy, cause theres current in saltwater fish tanks all the time. With saltwater, it damn near travels through the air.... especially when you have so many watts being pulled by these fixtures.
My setup is not very large and its 2 x 250w MH at 480v (it think it was 480) after the transformer, and then 2 more transformers powering 4- 80w t5 light.. with fans, moonlights, etc, and thats just 1 fixture.
And you also don't GFCI your pumps. A tripped GFCI could easily mean a $2500 loss in corals and fish.. and thats just a moderate setups loss.. a large setup the loss would be even greater.