ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jwhite Offline OP
I am going on memory here so forgive me if I confuse the facts. I am posting to clear that part up.

I read on message boards that fishing regular tv signal wires, from reciever to screen, inside walls is not code compliant, or safe.

How much of this is fact, and how much is urban legand?

S
Depends on the type of wire you use. Here in Canada if it's "FT-4" rated (flame test) it's ok.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
J
jwhite Offline OP
That is my question. Is the need for rated wire urban legand, or does anyone have links to documentation saying that fires have or could start due to use of improper wire?

L
LK Offline
"Is the need for rated wire urban legand"

The word urban legand simply means, no one bothered to look it up, so if someone told you it was an urban legand, he most likely din't know.

Try 820.49 Fire Resistance of CATV Cables
and 820.50

Remember, you need to consider, not only the electrical codes, but fire codes.

J
jwhite Offline OP
Thanks LK. What version of the code are you using? I cannot find those sections in the 2005

R
Ron Offline
And 800.50 for communication type circuits.

2002 NEC

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 08-27-2006).]

Ron
M
Anybody remember those threads and pictures about the fires started from high gain audio cables getting run inside walls? From about 3 years back I think.

L
LK Offline
Thanks Ron

Yes 2002 Book

Audio equipment, and wiring, keeps the fire trucks running, they can produce high levels of heat, a large percent of our building fires were audio related, everything from papers stored near, left on amps. to amps overheating and erupting in flames, my guess is there are more fires caused from audio equipment, then electrical systems in the home.

Oh, and don't forget how many cars go up in flames from amps that shake the neighborhood.

H
In the US according to the NEC the cables have to be listed as CM, CMX, CL2 or CL3 or any combination of each (dual listed). Listing has to be printed on the jacket.

I don't know of any thread relating to a fire started by "high gain audio cables", whatever that is. If someone finds it I would be happy to comment.

The low voltage and signal cable safety issue is related to what their composition will contribute to the spread of fire as well as the fire and smoke load itself should they be ignited by an external source. Heating of the cable due to excessive current is not a concern since if used according to code it would not be a factor.

-Hal

H
Audio equipment, and wiring, keeps the fire trucks running, they can produce high levels of heat, a large percent of our building fires were audio related, everything from papers stored near, left on amps. to amps overheating and erupting in flames, my guess is there are more fires caused from audio equipment, then electrical systems in the home.

Sure, I can see equipment overheating because of flammables blocking the ventilation and line voltage wiring being a cause of fires especially with power strips and overloaded receptacles. But to say "a large percent of our building fires were audio related" and "my guess is there are more fires caused from audio equipment, then electrical systems in the home" is really a stretch. Sounds like typical firemen who blame everything they can't pinpoint on an electrical problem. The stereo is burned up so it must be the cause.

-Hal

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard